Warrior football: Pink out or get out

Senior+Aria+Yadollahi++rushes+a+University+High+defender+at+the+Pink+Out+game+on+Oct.+10+++

Photo by Brittany Chang

Senior Aria Yadollahi rushes a University High defender at the Pink Out game on Oct. 10

Football (4-3-0) delivered its fourth win at the Pink Out game on Oct. 10, beating University High 20-17. October is breast cancer awareness month, and the game is a way to unite students and faculty for a common cause. Players dedicated their wristbands to loved ones who have been diagnosed with cancer.

“It was great seeing our team play well for this cause,”  linebacker and sophomore Ryan Grijalva said. “And it was also really cool to see my friends and family willingly come and donate money for breast cancer.”

Associated student body collected a total of $1000.16 from the coin wars between each grade level and the money will be donated to the Susan G. Komen Foundation to support breast cancer research. The Susan G. Komen organization has invested over $2.5 billion in research, community outreach and advocacy, according to its website.

“I think that Susan G. Komen is an awesome foundation,” community service commissioner Jennifer Borland said.

Coach Rick Gibson also noted the importance of breast cancer awareness through not only high school games, but also the NFL, due to the many lives and families it impacts.

About one in every eight women, or about 12 percent, will be diagnosed with some form of breast cancer in their lifetimes. Men have a much smaller risk, with only one man in every 1000 being diagnosed with breast cancer. The percentage of those diagnosed decreases every year, and it fell 7 percent from 2002 to 2003, according to U.S. Breast Cancer Statistics.

Students and faculty at the game were excited to see the spirit of those attending.

“It was really great seeing the warriors promoting awareness by wearing pink and supporting football,” sophomore Jennah Perez said.

“I thought it was really cool how many people showed up in pink at the game to show their support for breast cancer awareness,” sophomore Lauren Lum said.

Not only was the game important because of breast cancer awareness month, but it was also the first league game and was against a fellow Irvine school.

“I think it’s more energetic; everybody’s more excited, more ready to play,” senior and captain Zach Kennedy said on the attention given to the Pink Out game and playing another Irvine team.

The team won, but at the end of the first quarter the score was 0-7. Coach Gibson said he was not worried though, and he did not need to be because early into the first quarter Kennedy made the first touchdown after receiving a pass from senior and captain Michael Pritchett.

Senior John Schiazzano caught and ran the ball 52 yards, stopping just before the end zone. Pritchett was then able to hand off the ball to sophomore Connor McBride, who made a two-yard touchdown.

University High made a 22-yard touchdown at the end of the first half. Junior Alex Young made the final touchdown by catching a short pass from Pritchett. The Trojans got their final touchdown in the start of the fourth quarter, resulting in a three-point loss.

Key players include Pritchett, who passed 153 yards along with two touchdowns; McBride, who rushed 99 yards and made one touchdown; Schiazzano, who caught four passes totaling 103 yards and Young, who made a touchdown from a 36-yard throw.

“After the game I was relieved that all of the hard work had paid off,” Gibson said.

In addition to the hard work of the team, Gibson said that senior leadership played a part in the win. He is now ready to prepare the team for the homecoming game against Northwood High tomorrow.