Putting an end to college snobbery

The ability to attend college is an amazing opportunity that gives students an incredible advantage at having a successful career in the future. Taking difficult classes and applying for colleges definitely takes a lot of dedication, and an acceptance letter from a school among one’s top choices would seem like the ultimate prize. However, there is more to life than waiting on a college acceptance letter, and more to life than college itself.

Frankly, I’m tired of hearing students make obsessive comments about grades, compare SAT scores and scoff at those who applied to CSUs instead of UCs or Ivy League schools.

Although I blame society for causing students to feel disappointment and rejection when they are denied admission to a prestigious college, at some point it’s time to draw the line and be grateful for the opportunities we are presented with.

Don’t get me wrong; I’ve always believed in the power of education and giving academics my best go, but learning hasn’t always come easy for me, and when it came time to apply for colleges, I had to accept that the ones I was eligible for aren’t necessarily considered top-notch universities.

But, I’m completely fine with that. I know that I tried as hard as I could throughout high school, so, I refuse to let out-of-reach minimum eligibility numbers define me. Besides, the time I didn’t spend on schoolwork, I spent creating art, traveling and bonding with friends and family, which to me is much more valuable than a perfect SAT score.

Godspeed,

Noelle Roys