Students spread Disney magic to Mariners

Drum+major+and+senior+Scott+Numamoto+posing+with+the+Disneyland+Band+drum+major+

Photo by Anthony Kim

Drum major and senior Scott Numamoto posing with the Disneyland Band drum major

Four band students, senior Scott Numamoto, senior Anthony Kim, junior Alex Kim and junior Kelly Lin, performed alongside the Disneyland Band in a performance organized by the Philharmonic Society of Orange County on Feb. 27 at Mariners Church in Irvine. The students were selected by band teacher Brad Harris.

The band students were a part of a performance given to an audience of second graders from throughout Orange County; this show was designed to pique their interest in music and inspire them to pursue a musical career as adults.

“It was cool getting to play with the Disneyland Band and getting to see all the smiles and hearing all the laughter from the little kids,” trumpet player Anthony Kim said. “It’s a pretty cool way to introduce music to children.”

The Philharmonic Society collaborated with the Disneyland Band to organize the performance and bring them as well as the student musicians to Mariners. Two representatives of the society spoke at the end of the show, which consisted of two pieces. One notable melody played for the second graders was “It’s a Small World,” by Robert B. Sherman and Richard M. Sherman.

“We played ‘It’s a Small World,’ so myself and the other three were featured,” trombone player Alex Kim said. “We played the melody, and the Disneyland Band played the background, so it sounded exactly like the music in the ride at Disneyland, and it was really exciting to just be on stage with them.”

The band students who performed were recognized at the performance with hands-on experience in working with professional instrumentalists and performers.

“We got to experience what it’s like to be in the performance business,” clarinet player Numamoto said. “We worked with the Disney managers, and they showed us what we were supposed to do, and when we would go on.”

The band students left the performance with inspiration for both their musical futures and the experience of influencing younger students to pursue music.

“Personally, it was sort of like a sneak peek for what I want to hopefully do in the future,” Alex Kim said. “When I was in second grade, I actually went to a field trip to see the exact show, so it was pretty cool how I ended up being on stage for that. But just being surrounded by such skilled and professional people who do this for a living was really influential.”