Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee: the world’s freshest doughnuts

Photo by Emma Trinh

Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee is a popular place for students for students to grab a quick snack.

Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee is located on the strip of E 17th Street in Costa Mesa, next to an equally-unique Australian bakery, Pie-Not, and across from an upscale secondhand clothing store.

Its white tile backsplashes, gray walls and wooden displays create a comfortable and inviting background to the beautifully vibrant pink and yellow glazes of their famous Huckleberry and Passion Fruit Meringue doughnuts. The small shop is usually busy with the constant flow of bakers and workers behind the glass as they continuously fill orders and keep their word of delivering “the World’s Freshest Doughnuts” to their line of eager customers.

The doughnuts range from $4 to $5 – a price that is admittedly daunting, but after trying one of Sidecar’s unique treats, it is easy to understand why people are enticed to buy more. The famous Huckleberry doughnut lives up to its hype; the dense cake doughnut is not overpoweringly sweet or berry flavored, despite the abundant amount of glaze on top.

The unassumingly simple-looking Glazed Rosemary was my group’s favorite doughnut, an airy, crisp, savory and sweet doughnut that was still warm upon purchase. I was surprised and pleased to see that all the fuss behind the glass displays was genuine.

Due to the volume of customers Sidecar receives, fresh doughnuts are constantly baked and served right away. A local brew called Stumptown coffee is served with the Samoa, Maple Bacon, Butter and Salt, Madagascar Vanilla Twists and Cinnamon Crumble doughnuts.

Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee lives up to its Instagram-worthy hype. The doughnuts are just as aesthetically pleasing as they are delicious and unique. While pricier than an average doughnut, these gourmet goods are worth the experience.