To fist pump or not to fist pump: that is the question

The on going debate of formal vs. jersey jam heats up this dance season

Woodbridge High school junior Colten O’Dell has no suit, no date and no dinner reservation lined up for this weekend’s dance.

That means Odell is perfectly prepared for this year’s Jersey Jam, a dance that is a tradition here on campus and is a great alternative to the regular Homecoming other schools offer.

The only theme for the dance is to wear a jersey and have a good time. Chips and cookies are offered outside and replace steak and lobster. There is no need for limousine rides or boutonnieres.  

“It’s basically everything formal is not. You don’t have ask someone or plan anything, and it’s just a lot of fun,” O’Dell.

And although times have changed so that fewer students bring dates to school dances, prom and winter formal remain the exception. Most students pair off and often pitch in with friends to rent a limousine or plan a post-prom party. This tradition can cost a lot of money and bring on a lot of pressure to ask someone, according to psychology professor Joseph Ferrari of DePaul University, who specializes in teenage development.

“There is major pressure for kids to look right and be good. This is probably the dance to counter that,” Ferrari said.

On Saturday, students from Woodbridge attended this year’s Jersey Jam. For a small amount of money, students danced with friends and just relaxed,  according to ASB representative and junior Allie Hunter. Portraits were not taken, but you could get your picture taken with your group of friends. The dance started at 7 p.m. and lasted until 10 p.m.

According to O’Dell, since Jersey Jam is scheduled during the football season, it provides an alternative from what you would normally do on Saturday, hanging out with a friend or watching a movie, and also gives students a break from the repetitive formal dances that the school throws.