The secret weapon for the straight A student

Cheating: the forbidden method to aceing classes, has always been around, but recently issues of cheating in Honors and AP classes have become more evident.

Honors and AP classes are designed to be rigorous and demanding, often stressing out students during tests and projects. Some students turn to cheating to ensure a high grade and a golden GPA.

Corona del Mar High School is one school with a history of multiple students cheating. According to latimes.com, the school expelled 11 students who were involved with the scandal.

The consequences attached with cheating are too large of a risk and can range from an F to being suspended or expelled.

Some students may cheat without even knowing it, but unawareness should not dismiss students from consequences.

Copying homework answers from another student during a dire time, although not considered cheating by some students, is another form of academic dishonesty and should be avoided. Relying on friends or classmates for homework answers shapes bad habits, ultimately leading to a constant dependence on peers and failure to handle bigger responsibilities in the future.  Students who cheat miss out on important information needed for tests and can result in a bad grade.

Another obscure cheating method is spreading test questions to students. Knowing test questions ahead of time gives an extreme advantage and a possible increase of a grade, but also reassures the need to prepare and study for the test.

According to junior Caleb Anderson, cheating depends on a personal definition but believes that getting help on a test can be one form of it.

“Using the answers to take a test is cheating and shunned upon,” Anderson said.   

Laziness and fatigue pressure students to cheat, but the negatives outweigh the positives regarding cheating and should not be done. Students don’t retain information and are likely to fall back into the bad habits in the future. In addition, students receive a grade they don’t deserve making it unfair to honest students.