• Memorial Day Weekend May 26-28

• Minimum Day on May 25

• Percussion Festival on May 19

“The Last Jedi” takes viewers on a memorable galactic adventure

Lucasfilm delivers the goods again with another action-packed film in the Star Wars saga.

The+Star+Wars+The+Last+Jedi+main+cast+and+characters+lining+up+for+a+picture+in+Japan+premiere+red+carpet+of+the+movie.+
The Star Wars The Last Jedi main cast and characters lining up for a picture in Japan premiere red carpet of the movie.

Ever since Disney and Lucasfilm released “Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens,” in Dec. 2015, many significant events occurred.  Now, with the release of “The Last Jedi,” they round out a truly eventful year with an amazing film.    

Despite the chaotic and controversial year, the Star Wars franchise still succeeds through a winning combination of first-rate special effects, iconic characters, and a truly massive fanbase. This time, First Order and Resistance leaders are facing their own internal conflicts. On the planet of Ahch-To, Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) is having regrets about training Rey (Daisy Ridley) as he remembers an earlier disciple who turned against him. Meanwhile, Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) sets up a telepathic communication with Rey, attempting to make her his partner. Ultimately, these two opposing influences converge on the snow planet of Crait, fighting an epic duel that needs to be seen to be believed.      

Since this is the second movie of the trilogy, it is not surprising that this movie shares several parallels with “Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back,”. These include a fight against At-Ats in the snow, an appearance by Yoda, a darker tone and a shocking revelation. In addition, the movie has amazing special effects, with many impressive fight scenes that will leave viewers on the edge of their seats.  However, the storyline can be somewhat confusing due to the movie’s many new characters and locations. Despite this, the actors still manage to put on a great performance, with Luke’s cynical worldview being particularly interesting. Furthermore, the movie’s ending is especially emotional, considering that this is Carrie Fisher’s final performance. Although General Leia Organa was mostly seen at the beginning and end of the film (due to a plot point), she still manages to be an inspiring leader despite her limited screen time. This is distinctly noticeable at the end of the film when she encourages the surviving Resistance members to rebuild their forces after sustaining heavy losses.

In spite of all its flaws, this is still a great movie that all sci-fi fans should experience due to its amazing special effects and touching story.  With one more film in the trilogy to go, hopefully, the next film will finally reveal Rey’s parents’ full identities and open up the possibility for a fourth trilogy.  

Rating: 8/10       

• “The Last Jedi” takes viewers on a memorable galactic adventure

Arts & Entertainment

Blockbusters you should expect to see on your screens this summer

Arts & Entertainment

Three sophomore orchestra players accepted to the Honor Orchestra of America

Arts & Entertainment

Dance Paves Its Way to New Heights

Arts & Entertainment

Fine Arts Day

Arts & Entertainment

Dr. Seuss Comes off the Pages

Arts & Entertainment

More than a Movie

Arts & Entertainment

Winter Dance Production Keeps Audience On Their Feet

Arts & Entertainment

Warrior TV “Battles” in the 24 Hour Film Competition

Arts & Entertainment

Improv Students Act Unscripted

Arts & Entertainment

2017: Music that Made the Year