• Spring Musical, Feb. 27 - March 2

• Tranquil Tuesday During Tutorial in the Upper Gym, Feb. 5

• AMC Math Competition, Feb. 7

“The Last Jedi” takes viewers on a memorable galactic adventure

Lucasfilm delivers the goods again with another action-packed film in the Star Wars saga.

The+Star+Wars+The+Last+Jedi+main+cast+and+characters+lining+up+for+a+picture+in+Japan+premiere+red+carpet+of+the+movie.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Star Wars The Last Jedi main cast and characters lining up for a picture in Japan premiere red carpet of the movie.

Ever since Disney and Lucasfilm released “Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens,” in Dec. 2015, many significant events occurred.  Now, with the release of “The Last Jedi,” they round out a truly eventful year with an amazing film.    

Despite the chaotic and controversial year, the Star Wars franchise still succeeds through a winning combination of first-rate special effects, iconic characters, and a truly massive fanbase. This time, First Order and Resistance leaders are facing their own internal conflicts. On the planet of Ahch-To, Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) is having regrets about training Rey (Daisy Ridley) as he remembers an earlier disciple who turned against him. Meanwhile, Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) sets up a telepathic communication with Rey, attempting to make her his partner. Ultimately, these two opposing influences converge on the snow planet of Crait, fighting an epic duel that needs to be seen to be believed.      

Since this is the second movie of the trilogy, it is not surprising that this movie shares several parallels with “Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back,”. These include a fight against At-Ats in the snow, an appearance by Yoda, a darker tone and a shocking revelation. In addition, the movie has amazing special effects, with many impressive fight scenes that will leave viewers on the edge of their seats.  However, the storyline can be somewhat confusing due to the movie’s many new characters and locations. Despite this, the actors still manage to put on a great performance, with Luke’s cynical worldview being particularly interesting. Furthermore, the movie’s ending is especially emotional, considering that this is Carrie Fisher’s final performance. Although General Leia Organa was mostly seen at the beginning and end of the film (due to a plot point), she still manages to be an inspiring leader despite her limited screen time. This is distinctly noticeable at the end of the film when she encourages the surviving Resistance members to rebuild their forces after sustaining heavy losses.

In spite of all its flaws, this is still a great movie that all sci-fi fans should experience due to its amazing special effects and touching story.  With one more film in the trilogy to go, hopefully, the next film will finally reveal Rey’s parents’ full identities and open up the possibility for a fourth trilogy.  

Rating: 8/10       

• “The Last Jedi” takes viewers on a memorable galactic adventure

Arts & Entertainment

The “Hundred Acre Wood” Brings Magic to Woodbridge

Arts & Entertainment

The Art of Fine Arts Day

• Arts & Entertainment

Teachers Turn the Page on Books

Arts & Entertainment

“Note-Worthy” Students Receive Major Honor

Arts & Entertainment

Teenagers Write Songs for the Soul

Arts & Entertainment

Art Beyond the Walls

Arts & Entertainment

Shows To Binge Watch Over Winter Break

Arts & Entertainment

Choir Brings their Broadway Best to “Broadway Cabaret”

Arts & Entertainment

Bridge Clothing Line: Bridging School and Style

Arts & Entertainment

Redbubble: The Trend that Sticks