Small Acts Making Big Impacts

From warm greetings to helping peers in one’s classes, Woodbridge High students explain how such acts of kindness can change a person’s day for the better

Sophomore Ashley Lang finds it welcoming when people in her classes make an effort to approach her and get to know her. When she is new to a class, she appreciates when people actively reach out to her and engage her in conversation. “They make me feel like I have a friend in that class, someone I can [talk to] if I’m struggling or if I need help on homework,” Lang said.
    Lang also commented on the importance of doing small acts of kindness for people on campus. “It’s important because you never know what someone else is going through. Sometimes a small act of kindness can really make their day just a little bit better,” Lang said. She also commented on the connection between small acts of kindness and a school community. “I think it’s important to feel like you have a community at school [where] people care about you because honestly, they do,” Lang said.
    Lang advises others to perform small acts of kindness for people in their classes that they don’t know very well. “I think it’s really important to be kind to them because they might not necessarily feel comfortable in that class or in that environment and being kind to them can make them feel more comfortable,” Lang said.

For junior Ainoush Sharabyani, a warm greeting is a wonderful small act of kindness that can greatly impact someone’s day. “Maybe somebody is having a really hard day and then they just see you waving and then they just get happy, you know, like they care about you,” Sharabyani said.
    Small acts can be extremely meaningful since they can hold a great impact in the larger context of someone’s life. “I think it’s important to do that because you don’t know how far that small act of kindness could go for somebody,” Sharabyani said.
    Sharabyani added that she struggled to adjust to the new high school environment as a freshman. She recalled the kindness that the Woodbridge Link Crew showed, helping to make her transition from middle school to high school more manageable. She places emphasis on performing small acts of kindness for freshmen and helping them adjust to high school.

Senior Kate Verhagen is thankful for the help her peer gives her in biology class. She said their help allowed her to more thoroughly understand the material for that class. “I felt good because my anxiety for the class [was] diminished,” Verhagen said.
    She believes that performing small acts of kindness like helping people who are struggling with their classes is important because it provides relief when students are feeling really overwhelmed and frustrated.Verhagen affirms that one valuable act of kindness that students can perform on campus is being there for others. “I think the people who have outside struggles, like it’s not just school that’s overwhelming, but they have family problems or like other problems other people might be unaware of…You can just be there for them…You can be [someone] they can vent to and get everything out,” Verhagen said.

All in all, these students encourage others to perform small acts of kindness that can better people’s days and increase trust in the Warrior community.