Staff Editorial: Ethnic Studies Encourages Students to Advocate for Social Change and an Equitable Society

Staff and students find the implementation of ethnic studies necessary for promoting inclusivity and awareness in the school curriculum

One of the most defining traits of the United States is the diversity of our population’s ethnic backgrounds. Our nation represents an interwoven narrative of immigration experiences, social movements and histories of oppression that have influenced people of various ethnicities.
Ethnic studies is vital to helping students become knowledgeable about the community they live in, leaving them with a greater appreciation for the experiences of ethnic groups different from their own.
This appreciation can draw attention to the need for social change and inspire students to take action to positively impact society.
It is necessary to incorporate ethnic studies in the school curriculum because of the growing diversity in our country.
According to Brookings Education, “4 out of 10 Americans identify with a race or ethnic group other than white.”
Despite this diversity, it is common for individuals to experience detachment from their unique cultures, through a process referred to as “Americanization.”
The term “Americanization” stems from the Americanization movement in the early 20th century, describing the process in which a person assimilates into American culture.
“People feel detached from their culture because when you are in America, you strive to fit in,” sophomore Lakshmi Bedeker said. “But in that process…[you] lose some of your cultural identity from trying to change.”
According to The New York Times, the George Floyd protests were a series of police brutality protests that began in Minneapolis in the United States on May 26, 2020. The civil unrest and protests began as part of international reactions to the murder of George Floyd, a 46-year-old African American man, during an arrest.
Ethnic studies allows students to explore how activism and social movements can rectify inequality.
“Ethnic studies will help students know about other cultures and how the people interact, which would mean more representation,” sophomore Raven Akinwale said.
By acknowledging different cultures in society, we create a safe place where everyone can succeed, no matter their personal or racial identity.
“We have a lot of diversity in America. By understanding the cultures of those around us, we can respect them and understand each other better [to prevent hatred],” sophomore Kai Matsuoka said.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are imperative practices that should be at the forefront of every classroom.
Exercising cultural sensitivity will help ensure every student feels included and forms a learning space that expands educational access.
According to the National Center on Education and the Economy, “Black students in kindergarten to grade three that were assigned a black teacher were five percentage points more likely to graduate high school and four percentage points more likely to enroll in college.”
Diversity must originate from early childhood; creating an environment that allows children to see themselves represented in places of work is essential to fighting against the biases we all hold and fostering an immersive community whose benefits apply to all.
“[During] my junior year, I took Honors American Literature, and we had this project at the end of the year where we shared our identity with our peers. [From this project], we were able to represent our own culture,” senior Jiahui (Joanna) Li said.
Students across campus retain educational value by utilizing classroom culture and providing resources to urge one to reap the advantages, thus driving their passions to construct an inclusive society.
Utilizing diversity practices in and outside the classroom creates an impactful community and encourages students to strive for altruism.
Therefore, resources must be available to open up students’ perspectives on different cultures and ethnicities in order to facilitate discussions of social and ethnic equity.
“I read [Native Speaker] one summer and I was really surprised by how many things culturally a person from a Latin American background would have with a person from a Korean American background…but looking at the story and the experiences and the feelings and emotions that he writes about, it’s very similar,” English teacher Ruth Alix said.
Through perspective and inclusion, learning and understanding social inequity can potentially urge students to become advocates for the awareness of social discrimination.
Alix’s experiences underscore the need for unity and inclusivity in the classroom environment by facilitating insightful discussions about the shared experiences of people of different ethnicities.
Ethnic studies build awareness about social issues that people of different ethnic backgrounds have encountered and endured. After students are informed about these pressing problems, they will be equipped with the knowledge to develop a more equitable society.
The importance of ethnic studies lies in how it encourages younger generations to advocate for the necessary social changes to make society more equitable, compassionate and accepting.