Student Leaders Vie for Votes in ASB Election

Associated Student Body (ASB) candidates for the 2024-25 school year anticipate a competitive election cycle full of achievement

Every February, prospective ASB representatives campaign for one week, hoping to garner support from their peers as they compete for a spot in next year’s student government. 

Established in 1980, this tradition highlights the democratic process within the student body. The ASB positions up for election this year vary from ASB President to the Girls’ Athletics Commissioner and primarily focus on organizing events and voicing student concerns, to name a few. 

For the upcoming 2024-25 election cycle, candidates opting to run for elected positions are required to engage in grassroots campaigning, utilizing both on-campus and online platforms for publicity. 

Each candidate is allotted resources for on-campus publicity, including one banner, three posters and up to 20 fliers.

Current ASB Vice-President, senior and head of the election committee Ali Attia is tasked with creating and organizing the student government election.

Attia’s multifaceted role involves setting budget requirements for campaign materials and approving on-campus publicity from candidates, such as posters and fliers.

In contrast to the previous year’s ASB Vice-Presidents, Attia established an election committee comprising seniors tasked with assisting her in implementing changes to election requirements, including adjustments to the budget for campaign supplies.

“There is a lot of value and power in a group decision,” Attia said. “This year, I made a committee of seniors who have been previously elected and I ask their input on what they think is important to add or remove requirements from the election [guidelines].” 

Attia encourages participation in leadership roles, viewing it as an important way for students to become involved and effect positive change in their school community.

Anyone can apply for ASB, whether they have previously been on it or not. Our elected process requires very few prerequisites to hold a position in [ASB], so it’s inclusive to our entire [student body].

— Ali Attia

While the entirety of ASB does not consist of elected representatives, students retain the ability to vote for candidates of more than half of the positions, based on who they believe is most competent to serve.

Among these candidates is junior Dakota Chandler, who started campaigning before election week fully started. 

Chandler plans to run for Girls’ Athletics Commissioner, an elected position that represents all Woodbridge High sports teams. She plans to make her campaign stand out by shifting the narrative to the students themselves and paints the picture that sports are for everyone. 

“Every student should get a shot at playing a sport and participating in an athletic program regardless of their skill,” Chandler said.

Campaigning during election week can bring exciting opportunities for students to raise support, but it can also raise challenges. In particular, there is the task of garnering support where the election field is highly competitive. 

Current Freshmen President and freshman Mia Matulewicz plans to run for Sophomore President. 

With limited resources for on-campus publicity, contenders must strategize to make a lasting impression on their peers. As a solution, many candidates have turned to online publicity through social media platforms.

“As a way to stand out, I will definitely be using Instagram for my campaign,” Matulewicz said.

ASB elections are a cornerstone of the student body and serve as a catalyst for inspiring school spirit.  Through voting for their preferred candidates, students feel empowered to shape the direction of their student government, and ultimately, their school.

“[Students] get excited to hear what [prospective] candidates are planning on doing next year, which makes election week such a special time on campus,” Attia said. “When [candidates] do hand-outs like pins and [stickers], it makes people feel seen…it’s so valuable to creating spirit.”

Students will have an opportunity to vote for the candidates of their choice starting Thursday, Feb. 22. Election voting closes Saturday, Feb. 24.