Shrinidhi Sriram Honors Diverse Pathways in Upcoming Commencement Speech

As this year’s chosen commencement speaker, Shrinidhi Sriram plans to highlight the power of diversity and resilience in shaping the future
Sriram+poses+holding+her+cap+and+gown%2C+in+anticipation+for+graduation.+
Catherine Lee
Sriram poses holding her cap and gown, in anticipation for graduation.

Among all of the nostalgia-tinted memories that come with the end of high school, the commencement speech holds a special place in students’ hearts.It’s the moment when a chosen student steps onto the stage, embodying the hopes, dreams and achievements of their graduating class. For Woodbridge High’s Class of 2024, that voice belongs to senior Shrinidhi Sriram.
For Sriram, the journey to the commencement podium was more than a whim of senior year ambition, but instead an aspiration originating from her freshman days.
“I…think that being up there in front of my graduating class…is such an honorable way to leave,” Sriram said.
As she shared insights into her preparation process, it became clear that it involved much determination, introspection and a profound understanding of her classmates’ diverse futures. As this year’s overall commencement speech theme is “Looking Forward,” Sriram’s speech celebrates the variety of paths that lie ahead for each graduate.
“There are just so many pathways that everybody wants to take and I wanted to honor that…I wanted to highlight that we each have our own definition of success,” Sriram said.
While Sriram was confident from the start about her message emphasizing the importance of individuality in the pursuit of greatness, crafting her speech was a journey of refinement.
“My idea was good, but I needed help centering it and bringing it to focus and having a thesis so everybody can follow That’s what I struggled with but eventually I ended up figuring it out,” Sriram said.
Grant Davis, her Advanced Placement Literature teacher, helped sharpen her message into a powerful narrative. Through multiple drafts and collaborative sessions, Sriram honed her words. When discussing why Sriram’s speech was chosen, Davis underlined the importance of specificity and impact in graduation speeches.
“She had a really clear message that she wanted to deliver to her class that we thought was an important and valuable one for them to hear,” Davis said.
Sriram’s speech stands out not only for its clarity but also for its cadence and unique perspective. Drawing from years of experience in education and writing, Davis revealed the significance of a thesis in making a speech impactful.
“Having a powerful thesis that you really get across and establish makes it have an impact on the audience. Shrinidhi absolutely had that, and that’s what makes the best graduation speeches that we’ve had here powerful moments,” Davis said.
However, Sriram’s influence extends beyond her eloquence at the podium. According to her lifelong friend, senior Sukanya Shunmugasundaram, Sriram embodies empathy, resilience and unwavering positivity.
“Her care for others goes well beyond the surface level and her empathy allows for her audience to connect with her. She inspires those around her through her actions and words,” Shunmugasundaram said.
Shunmugasundaram anticipates that Sriram’s words will evoke a sense of gratitude, pride and excitement for the future among her fellow graduates, leaving a lasting impact.
“I think her speech will leave everyone feeling thankful for their life and the people in it, proud of their accomplishments, and excited for the future,” Shunmugasundaram said.
Sriram encapsulates the essence of her speech, seamlessly transitioning from reflection on the individual paths each graduate will take to a celebration of the unique diversity within their class.
“We’re not all going to do the same thing and that’s what’s beautiful about our class. We’re all so different in our own ways and I think my speech highlights that,” Sriram said.