Portola High School update

Portola high awaits a bright future with current University high principal, John Pehrson

IUSD recently selected University High’s current principal, John Pehrson, to serve as the inaugural principal of Portola High School, which is set to open in August 2016.

Pehrson will choose the school’s leaders, oversee completion of construction, find local stakeholders, establish curriculum, select staff members and finally proceed to develop the infrastructure of the school over the next 18 months.

“Opening a new high school is a tremendous endeavor, so we feel extremely fortunate to have an educational leader of John’s caliber willing to accept this honor and challenge,” superintendent Terry Walker said, as mentioned in the IUSD News Flash.

Pehrson was selected to be Portola High’s principal because he is the most experienced principal from all of the other Irvine high schools; he has been principal in University High since 2005, totaling 10 years of experience. He even had experience in opening Tesoro High School in Capistrano Valley Unified School District previously.

“I think this was the right decision. He is just a great guy, and this is a great opportunity for him and the school,” principal Christopher Krebs said.

During the time Pehrson led University High, the school earned many honors and had been placed on top high school lists by many credible news reports. Before he was part of administration, he taught chemistry and physics along with coaching basketball and volleyball in the Whittier Union High School District.

“It is a true honor to be selected as the principal of Portola High School. I have heard great things about the community and am already excited to begin working with everyone to build another incredible Irvine school,” Pehrson said, according to the IUSD News Flash.