• Wellness Wednesday on Nov. 15 during Tutorial

• Vocal Music presents Broadway Cabaret Nov. 16 and 17 at 7:00 p.m.

• Thanksgiving Break- Nov. 22-26

A lifetime formula

VROOM-VROOM! The squealing of tires on an asphalt track echoes throughout the stadium, while a crowd surges to its feet cheering.

For as long as I can remember, Formula One is the sport that has stayed with me the longest. Formula One is a class of single-person auto racing involving the fastest racing cars in the world, with cars reaching speeds up to 220 mph.

My parents both got into the sport in the early 90s, both through the racer Ayrton Senna, who won three world championships. I remember my parents waking me up early Saturday mornings, not for cartoons but to watch the latest race on television. The exulting shouts of my mom and dad when their favorite racer, Michael Schumacher, won seemed very exciting to a younger me.

However, when I was younger, I could not care less about the sport. I went to the 2005 United States Grand Prix in Indianapolis, but put my earplugs in and turned away from the race because the roars of the engines were too loud for me. Additionally, I did not think the race was exciting because that year, due to a tire malfunction, only six cars could race, making it more of a joke than anything else.

Now, I feel that Formula One is a sport I will continue to keep up with, on and off throughout the years. Despite its waning popularity in the United States, it holds a special place in the hearts of me and my family.

Sincerely,

Avantika Vivek

A lifetime formula