Committed to helping students succeed

School psychologists are always available to help

From social relationships to making personal decisions, students constantly face daily problems. Many students are unaware of school psychologists and struggle in solving their problems by themselves, forgetting that there’s always someone on campus to count on.

The two school psychologists, Christina Argerich and Sharri Hogan, are uniquely qualified members of school staff who are experts in mental health, learning and behavior to help students on campus.

“School psychologists primarily test students for special education services and counseling services for special education students as needed,” Argerich said. “We also may be involved for more serious issues such as a school crisis. School psychologists also see students in general education on specific cases.”

The job of a school psychologist requires students to be able to handle stressful times in a healthy manner since the job is very demanding and necessary to be able to work with a variety of different people.

“I didn’t take any courses in high school that would lead towards a school psychologist credential,” Hogan said. “It wasn’t until my third or fourth year in college that I decided to become a school psychologist. I was a psychology major, and I did a lot of research on careers in psychology, worked with a career counselor in college and explored the coursework at various colleges before I made the decision to pursue school psychology.”

Argerich initially earned her undergraduate degree in Communication due to her interest in business and advertising, but later enrolled in a graduate program for her Master’s degree and school psychologist credential after her experience shadowing a school psychologist for a week that perked her interest. She said she loved being able to support students and develop strategies for them to overcome barriers during their transitions into adulthood.

“Generally, a student would see their school counselor, and the counselor may choose to collaborate with the school psychologist or ask for them to be directly involved if needed,” Argerich said.

Argerich and Hogan consistently support students in need and encourage them to make positive decisions to be successful in high school.

“I have worked at every level of education as a school psychologist, and I really enjoy high school. I like working with young adults because they are working towards the goal of graduation and planning their future, which is exciting,” Hogan said.