ImprovCity High brings the laughs at its final show this year

Juniors+Christopher+Lee%2C+Matt+Lindwall+and+Brick+Yost+watch+sophomore+Juanita+Lopez+and+senior+Jinno+Vicencio+demonstrate+the+worst+things+to+say+during+a+breakup.+

Tristan Corcoran

Juniors Christopher Lee, Matt Lindwall and Brick Yost watch sophomore Juanita Lopez and senior Jinno Vicencio demonstrate the worst things to say during a breakup.

Last Friday, ImprovCity High took the stage for the final time this school year, bringing an end to another successful and comedic season of performances from the tight-knit group.

Originally, the show was supposed to feature skits from ASB, who spent time training with professional coaches alongside the improv students. Unfortunately, the student leaders were committed to their own events and were unable to fully devote their time to the project. While they were missed, their absence did ensure that all improv students would receive sufficient time on stage.

This is Improv’s first show on campus outside of fine arts day this year. Junior and performer Matt Lindwall in particular said he relishes the opportunity to display his passion in front of a familiar crowd.

“It’s just a really good outlet for people,” Lindwall said. “I mean I do plays and stuff, but it’s just another thing where I can really get myself out there and do what I love.”

The show itself was divided into different “games” or methods of performing, such as Town Hall and Battlescene Galactica. All games challenged performers to work together in different ways to provide a night of unpredictable comedy. Of course, crowd participation was crucial to all aspects of the show and helped develop a fun atmosphere for the performers.

“I feel like we got a lot of support tonight,” senior Gabby Feliciano said. “We got a lot of laughs, which is amazing. Our prime goal is to make people laugh, and I am just so grateful.”

For Feliciano in particular, this was a night to remember. As she stepped on stage for what she thought was another game, “crowd volunteer” and senior Frederick Santiano presented her with flowers, chocolate and a very important question: “Prom?”

“When I was up onstage by myself, I literally turned to the other team players and asked: ‘What game are we playing,’” Feliciano said. “They told me to turn around, and when I saw Fred coming up onstage, I knew what was going on.”

The brightening lights and round of applause marked the end of what adviser Cassandra Gaona believes was a year of significant growth for Improv. With help from ImprovCity’s Gina Duggan, the team has really come into its own throughout the past few months.

“It’s really exciting to see them,” Gaona said. “They’re a really young group this year, and you can really tell they have been listening to my professional coaches.”

Gaona said she was most impressed with the students’ ability to convey natural and genuine comedy. She realizes the care and trust that exists between all the performers and loves to see that chemistry come to life onstage.

“They’re having fun, which is the most important thing,” Gaona said. “If you try to be funny then it isn’t going to be funny, but if you have fun, then the funny comes.”