New Clubs on Campus

Students thrive in cultural and religious clubs on campus

Leisa Komyo

President of Hispanic Culture Club and senior Alejandro Pacheco strives to spread Latin American culture through his club activities

Hispanic Culture Club 

President of the Hispanic Culture Club, senior Alejandro Pacheco and other students seek to learn about and share elements of  hispanic culture in the club’s inaugural year. 

The club plans to explore a variety of Latin American nations by presenting elements of their unique cultures, customs and cuisines. 

“I feel like it is great that students… are able to come together with people who share similar backgrounds along with those who are interested in learning,” Pacheco said. “I think it shows how accepting we have become as a whole and sheds a good light on each one of us.” 

Pacheco shares some of his favorite cultural memories. 

“…Preparing food, especially hallacas, arepas, tamales and many other dishes and traditions I hold close to my heart… preparing these Hispanic foods with my family is both entertaining and rewarding…” Pacheco said. 

Pacheco encourages students to join identity based clubs on campus to expand their perspectives.

“I personally enjoy looking into other cultures and knowing different customs and lifestyles some of my friends may have, with respect to their heritage,” Pacheco said.

Persian Alliance Club and Cleanup for Christ club. 

Math teacher and advisor to Persian Youth Alliance and Cleanup for Christ clubs Sue Khorashadi hopes to be able to express her Persian side of her family through the club activities (Leisa Komyo)

Sue Khorashadi is the advisor to the Persian Youth Alliance Club and Cleanup for Christ clubs on campus, both of which hold a special meaning for her.  

“I married into a Persian family and have embraced the culture as I raise my own children to be bi-cultural,” Khorashadi said. “I also love the beach, surf often and would like to see others respect it as much as I do.” 

The Persian Youth Alliance Club encourages Iranians and Non-Iranians alike to educate themselves about the culture through research. 

“They have been discussing ideas such as the importance of monuments in Iran, harmful stereotypes directed at Iranians and their impact, and the infamous revolution that occurred in the past,”  Khorashadi said. 

Khorashadi also advises the Cleanup for Christ club, which desires that members are able to grow in their relationship with Christ well participating in beach clean ups and bible studies. 

Khorashadi believes that the activities of these clubs are important and especially timely during the challenges of the pandemic and political unrest. 

“I love seeing my students in their element, volunteering and bonding over their heritage,” Khorashadi said. 

Filipino club and Roman Catholic Club

Senior Rogel Aguilar hopes to be able to discover a new side of his identity through the Filipino Club. (Leisa Komyo)

Senior Rogel Aguilar and his peers began Filipino club as a resource for students to learn more about Filipino culture and language. 

“A big reason why I wanted to start the club was to find other Filipinos at Woodbridge,” Aguilar said. “I thought that if there was some kind of space or community for Filipinos and others interested in Filipino culture, they would come.” 

Aguilar and other club member’s initial visions soon came to fruition. 

“People from all over the spectrum with some knowing Filipino culture better, some being able to speak Tagalog (one of the main languages spoken in the Philippines), and some wanting to try and learn it,” Aguilar said. 

Meetings include presentations about Philippine culture, activities and games. During each meeting, members learn a new Tagalog phrase to take to their family and friends. 

“Even though I will always say that I’m proud to be Filipino, there is something uniquely American about my identity, from the way I think to the way I talk and act,” Aguilar said. “There was always that divide between my American school version of me, and the Filipino home version of me, and being in the Filipino Club has allowed me to merge those two versions of myself into one.” 

Aguilar also chose to join Woodbridge High’s Roman Catholic Club (RCC), which aims to connect students so that they may be examples of their faith. 

“Being in the Roman Catholic Club (RCC) helped me find how other high schoolers practiced Catholicism outside of church, more like Catholicism in our daily lives,” Aguilar said. “… Being in RCC allowed me to interact with other people over a shared faith.” 

To receive updates from RCC, join the club’s Remind, which can be found in the club directory. 

Aguilar is steadfast on his journey to develop his identity and he avoids labeling himself to ensure his individuality.