IUSD Gets Ready for 2021 Summer Programs

As COVID-19 continues to shape high school curriculum across the nation, IUSD adapts their summer enrichment program to accommodate these circumstances

Nicolle Delgado

Cohort A students head to class to attend their fifth period.

Irvine Unified School District (IUSD) has started a new summer enrichment program so students can take extra classes such as psychology and dual-enrollment courses at Irvine Valley College. Students can take such classes to gain high school credit or to expand their knowledge on a certain course.

Like last year’s summer courses, students have the possibility to take a variety of courses this summer. 

“I don’t know what classes I’m going to take specifically but I know it’s something related to math or computer science or mechanical engineering or something [similar],” junior Ricardo Diaz said.

Even though this year’s enrichment program will also be held at San Joaquin High like previous years, there are differences from last year, such as being physically present.

“Summer school for credit remediation will be in person at WHS this summer and there will also be a summer school program online through San Joaquin High School for classes like Health,” counselor Jennifer Carrington said.

Although students still have the chance to take a variety of summer classes, this year there is an emphasis on the summer learning recovery academy, acceleration and enrichment courses. 

According to Carrington, “Students attend summer school for various reasons. IUSD has been very purposeful to attempt to offer something for everyone looking to take courses over the summer… For students who struggled with distance learning and need to retake a required class or students who would like to get health class, PE or Driver’s Ed completed outside the school year, there is something for everyone.”

In all of these classes, students will receive high school credit, but with a few exceptions such as drivers ED.

For some students, summer classes present new learning opportunities, for others is something to do over the summer.

“I think they are just methods of teaching pretty well due to the pandemic, so that’s a really good point in favor. They are pretty easy courses and they can be done over the summer. In the summer, you really don’t have anything to do… just taking those classes… are pretty simple to do and they give you credits, [which] I think… are great for students,” Diaz said.

Not only do they present students with the opportunity to receive high school credits but these classes also help students develop an idea of what careers to pursue once they start college.

“These classes meet the UC “g” elective requirement for college admissions and provide students with some insight into possible college majors and careers. They include: Medical Terminology, Introduction to Legal Studies, Introduction to Manufacturing, Cybersecurity, Veterinary Science, Principles of Business, and Hospitality and Tourism,” Carrington said.

Despite having the big difference of being physically present, the two different learning models, IVA and hybrid, or the change of schedule students have experienced this year, the concept of these courses has not changed.

“The past year has taken its toll on individuals in different ways and sometimes one’s mental/emotional health may take precedence over academics. I think this year’s programs are much like any other year, and have things to offer students who want to get ahead or need to get caught up,” social science teacher Wesley Banh said.