The AMC math Tests Took Place in November

In November, the competitive math club Mu Alpha Theta hosted two national math exams, called the American Mathematics competition math tests, hoping to attract students interested in taking a step further into the world of mathematics
    Amy Wong
    Student ponders over a math question in preparation for the AMC math tests.

With November comes the AMC math tests, a set of annual examinations tailored specifically for high school students. There are two tests currently available for high school students: the AMC 10 and the AMC 12. The AMC 10 is offered to students in grades 10 and below, covering high school curriculum up to the 10th grade, while the AMC 12 is offered to seniors and younger participants, containing the entire high school curriculum. 

The two 75 minutes, 25 question tests are designed to develop the skills of high school students by exposing them to higher level math. According to the Mathematical Association of America, “The AMC 10/12 provides an opportunity for high school students to develop positive attitudes towards analytical thinking and mathematics.” As national exams, the AMC tests are the first of a line of exams advancing up to the international level. 

“It is a nationwide competition and those who score very high are qualified for the national competition,” Mu Alpha Theta advisor Kristie Donavan said. “[It is] called the AIME (American Invitational Mathematics examination) which is an …and ultimately the top students from that would compete on behalf the the United states in an international competition.”

Covering a wide area of math, and designed to challenge students, the tests contain a variety of math problems not normally seen on high school tests. With no access to a calculator, participants are expected to recognize and handle different structures in math across a wide range of topics. Students interested in math may want to take them to challenge themselves, or experience math outside of a classroom. “[I’ve] been really into…math since I was young. So people might take the AMC because they want to see what math is like outside of the classroom. For me, competitive [math is], more fun than just common core math curriculum” Mu Alpha Theta president Katherine Hua said. Students who are interested in pursuing a math-related career later in their lives may also be interested in the tests. “If you like doing something thats going to push you and challenge to to try something that would be a great reason to participate in the AMC,” Donavan says.

For students looking to dive into the world of competitive math, the AMC tests may be a good start.“The AMC is like a really good way to kind of get into competitive math exams because the AMC is…the most popular and…prestigious [and]…well recognized exams” Hua says.

As a national exam, the AMC tests may attract those advanced in math, but still hold appeals for other students. “People might take the AMCs… if they want to look good on college applications because it is a national competition,” sophomore Audrey Huang says. “They might also want a score that they can put on college applications because some colleges do ask for it.”

For interested students, the test is offered at Woodbridge High near the start of November. “There’s 2 tests: one on November 8th and one on November 14th. WoodbridgeHigh  is only hosting the test on November 8th so if you sign up, you can take it at school. If you want to take the test on the 14th, you need to find some other place that hosts it.” Huang said. Any student can take them if they are in the eligible math class, so it is encouraged that students try out these exciting opportunities to grow as a mathematician.