Spiking a New Tradition

From 17 teams to a final of two teams in the championship game, students participated in the first ever Spikeball Tournament.

Spiking the lightweight ball down onto the netted trampoline-like surface, students gathered around the net to face off in the first ever Spikeball Tournament. The tournament started on Feb. 19 and concluded Feb. 22. Boys Athletic Commissioner and senior Joseph Faza organized the event to introduce an unique athletic opportunity.  

“I wanted to add something new to apply more to the students since there are people who are interested in spikeball, but not dodgeball,” Faza said. “I wanted to bring the school more activities and more sports.”

The tournament consisted of 17 teams, randomly selected to play each other. When a team lost, they were eliminated from the tournament. This event served as a supplement to the annual dodgeball tournament.

“We have had some good success with our dodgeball tournament in previous years and we are still planning on doing that this year, but we thought it would be fun for students to have another athletic…event they could compete in,” activities director Lauren Prudhomme said.

After two days of spikeball rounds, there were four teams left on Friday, Feb. 22. In the semifinals, Team Ten Tennis defeated Twinky by a close score of 21-19. In the other semifinal game, Quack Heads beat Team Awesome by a score of 21-13. Finally, Team Ten Tennis squared off against Quack Heads. The game started off with Quack Heads taking a 3-0 advantage.  Later in the game, Quack Heads were leading by a score of 20-11, forcing Team Ten Tennis to keep Quack Heads from scoring. Many students gathered around the action to watch the end of the exciting game. Team Ten Tennis then came back with five points making it a 20-16 score. Finally Quack Heads got the final point, winning the game by a score of 21-16. Junior Spencer Sloniger and Senior Phillip Salgado made up the winning team.

“It was a total blast,” Sloniger said. “It brought a ton of people to come and watch and play. It was just a good time”.

Meanwhile, Salgado is thankful for Sloniger’s assistance.

“Shoutout to Coach Ho, the volleyball coach [and] shoutout to Spencer, best spikeball partner ever,” Salgado said.

As the winning team held the trophy pridefully to a cheering gym audience, the Warriors warmly welcomed a new yearly tradition.