AVID Program Takes Effect Starting the 2023-24 School Year

With the start of a new school year, AVID unleashes new growth opportunities for students across the campus
Ocean Pham
Students Rachel Harris and Sofia McPhail take on Woodbridge High’s new AVID program with teacher Elena Gonzalez.

For over 40 years, the Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) program has delivered professional support to maximize students’ potential and pave their way toward college and career success. Initiated by English teacher Mary Catherine Swanson at Clairemont High School, the program has since then expanded its impact to 8,000 schools and over two million students in all grade levels. 

This year, AVID is introduced to Woodbridge High as an elective course for students who are currently on the A-G college track with a minimum GPA of 3.0. 

Unlike traditional college readiness programs, AVID students have the opportunity to visit local colleges throughout the school year, gaining first-hand exposure to college life while exploring various opportunities in each campus. 

“[AVID students] are part of this cohort—we call our AVID family—for the entire length of their high school years. They have a bond with each other and me like no other class can offer,” social science and AVID elective teacher Elena Gonzalez said. “It teaches [students] the essential skills that they need to be successful high school and college students.”

Gonzalez incorporates the AVID writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, and reading (WICOR) curriculum in class, with a special focus on note-taking and the AVID tutorials. Each day, students are able to sharpen their learning habits and gain the necessary academic skills to thrive in advanced placement (AP) classes. 

“[Through AVID], you are getting more information than other people of your age. So you are more ahead when it comes time to go to college,” freshman Kenza Yoh said. 

Moreover, results from the class of 2022 have shown an average performance in which AVID seniors have greatly exceeded the national benchmarks. First-generation, low-income AVID alumni who go to college are four times more likely to graduate than their national peers, while 90% of those who applied have been accepted into four-year colleges. 

While most AVID students are first-generation college applicants, the program is designed to help all students develop lifelong learning habits with additional social and emotional support. 

“Although [college readiness] is one of the main goals, everything that’s been taught inside of AVID is useful for all students throughout,” Woodbridge High counselor Camera Kem said. 

For schools and educators, AVID also provides a direct line of support to create changes that are responsive to campus needs. Looking into the future, AVID effectively exposes students to a wide array of potential avenues they can take after high school. 

“To students who are interested, I would say go for it. I think it’s a really fun class and even though there may seem to be a lot of work, I think it’s very helpful and the work is all worth it,” freshman Natasha Buckley said.