Stay hydrated in a cool way

Photo by Julie Yoo

Established during the summer of 2016 in the K building, the new water fountain has become the hot spot for both students and staff for a cool and refreshing source for water.

With the installment process occurring over the summer, many students have questioned the origin of the gift

According to Principal Christopher Krebs, the fountain was a part of a tradition known as a “senior gift” in which the graduating classes takes the remaining class funds from the Associated Student Body and donates the money towards an idea that would improve or help the lives of both the faculty and students.

“ The class of 2016 brought the idea to my attention that they had seen it done at other schools and that there is a growing trend of kids that bring water bottles to school and drink water throughout the day,”Krebs said.

The costs were approximately $4,914.76 according to accountant, Ginny Dalton,as the fountain was purchased from the Irvine Pipe and Supply Company.  Despite this, many students such as senior Jordan Lim believe that the benefits outweigh the costs.

“I believe that they are a great improvement since they can easily refill water bottles,” Lim said.

In addition to the new glow and shine, the fountain introduces a water dispenser for water bottles which many teachers have become accustomed to and have grown an appreciation for.

“ I really like that I can fill up my water bottles without having to tilt it sideways and only get it filled up halfway,” math teacher Aaron Dorman said.

Since the senior class and vice president decide what the senior gift is, according to Activities Director Lauren Prudhomme, alumni Albert Qian and alumnus Amanda Cooper the need for new water fountains on campus to benefit students along with faculty members as well as the environment.

“It was one of the things they talked about and as they talked about it more they saw it as a real need on campus and so they began to pursue that idea and they wanted something that would really benefit a lot of students,” Prudhomme said.

The senior class of 2016 left the fountains as their legacy, and they are expected to be used for years to come.