Should We Ditch The Block Schedule?

The different feelings towards longer class periods

Block schedule versus Traditional schedule, are shorter classes of more profit to students or not so much? Many teachers and administrators view that Block schedule is of more aid to students than the schedule containing shorter classes.

In an article by ACSD titled “Are Longer Classes Better” they say with longer classes students are able to put their energy and time in a more effective way and are able to try new learning
innovations. Longer class periods allow for students to study a subject more in depth without interruption, students are able to try hands-on activities, long-term projects, and much more. Instructors are discovering that the typical 55-minute class periods are serving as a limit or barrier to delivering good schooling.

With longer class periods not only does it leave more time for more instruction, it also increases a students’ opportunities to interact among their peers. It may not seem like socializing is important for a student’s academic career but it in fact is. Introduction to various social situations and experiences help students gain confidence allowing them further opportunities for professional and emotional growth in the future.

“Yes, it’s because it’s short and you don’t really have time to socialize because you have to focus on the work that’s at hand,” junior Maya Uritia said. By having the typical 55 minute to hour long classes students’ window to socialize and make connections is weakened and at times completely erased as they don’t have as much time to mingle and complete their work.

While many are in favor of the over the hour class periods there are some who don’t have the same viewpoint. “I personally start to wander into space once the class starts getting heavy in a way like I start to get worn out from that subject. With shorter classes since it’s less amount of time I am able to pay more attention since it’s not a long time that I am being taught, it leaves less room for me to get bored and impatient with whatever class it is that I’m in,” senior Karen Menchaca said.

“I feel like for each subject you might have more energy or engage more and focus because you’re not in there for as long. So it’s like 55 minutes versus 85 minutes so maybe you get less of that subject fatigue right over that time period,” teacher Laura Mattair said.

This Woodbridge High science teacher and student both consider that a problem with longer classes is a student’s ability to pay attention. Although these are high school students who are now at the age where they are able to pay attention for a longer period of time, that attention can only be caught for so long.

According to an article written by Edmont Jr. and Sr. High School titled “How Long Can We Really Pay Attention In Class” attention spans will vary depending on the individual, but there is a general timespan when a student is at their optimal focus. For 11 to 12 year olds, this time frame is from 25 to 30 minutes. For 13 to 15 year olds, the number increases to 30 to 40 minutes. Finally, 16 year olds and up are expected to be able to concentrate for at least 32 to 50 minutes.

The change from 85 to 55 minute classes could either help or interfere with our productivity in class. In the end, there is no obvious choice for ending this rebuttal. We all have different learning preferences. So while our current Block schedule doesn’t exactly agree with what some students and staff believe is better, most of Woodbridge High and other’s appear to be making the most of this schedule.