World Hunger Bowl: fighting for a good cause through powerful art

Photo by Brittany Chang

Faye Chapman, Brenden Englieter, Joe Banner, Brooke Martin, Kajsa Sibley, Belma Zigic and Johanna Montesinos (left to right) attended the 6th Annual World Hunger Bowl to raise money for poor neighborhoods.

Ceramics students joined artists from all over the world on Nov. 6 in Laguna Beach for the sixth annual World Hunger Bowl, an event hosted by Changing Souls to raise money and awareness for those struggling with hunger, poverty and homelessness in Orange County.

Seniors Justin An, Kathryn Boyd, Paige Coyle, Brenden Engelieter, Meray Farag, Angelina Lopez, Sharon Mai, Nancy Mendoza, Alysha Muñiz, Jethro Ogena, Melanie Pedersen, Kyle Salem, Andrew Servin, Andy Sjostrand, Belma Zigic, juniors Johanna Montesinos, Kajsa Sibley, Allison Wilhelm and sophomore Zenina Elmasy had their hand-crafted ceramic bowls shown at the gala and auctioned off to raise money for resources for the homeless. For weeks, students worked to perfect their art pieces that were auctioned off at the World Hunger Bowl fundraising event.

Ceramics teacher Joe Banner encouraged his students to take their creativity beyond the classroom and participate in the global art community through this event.

“I’m so proud; any way my students can bring awareness to something outside of the walls in high school, I’m all up for it,” Banner said.

These young artists understood the power and impact that their featured pieces had beyond just their aesthetic beauty.Thanks to the funds raised by the gala, Changing Souls and its partners are able to provide food, shelter, medical services, counseling, financial advisement, job training and enrichment classes to those who need help getting back on their feet.

“It’s really nerve wracking. I mean, I never really thought one of my pieces would be in a show like this,” Zigic said.

Members of the ceramics program look forward to expanding their influence beyond the classroom by participating in these public art shows.

“It just kind of evolved. This is the third year my students have been doing this, and it’s just getting bigger and bigger and better and better,” Banner said.

Many other renowned artists created and donated bowls, such as Robert Wyland, well known for his murals of marine life throughout Southern California. Other artists entered works from Canada, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Iran, Germany and Italy, just to name a few participating countries joining the fight against hunger and homelessness.

One of the goals for the ceramics program is to encourage artists to use their talents to better their world.

“This is actually for a good cause. I’m not just making a bowl and trying to get my art out and recognized. I’m trying to help people by making art, which is really cool,” Muniz said.